Readers continue to flock to Mississippi PEP to view the original content of our contributors, and our links to top stories from across the state. We expect August will be no different as we prepare to celebrate the first year of Mississippi PEP. That’s right. We’re about to have a birthday!
Here’s the top reads of the week:
- Haley Barbour’s previous position(s) on Mississippi’s health insurance exchange no longer a factor. This is Chaney’s baby now. Managing Editor Keith Plunkett’s takes a look at how supporters of ObamaCare and supporters of Insurance Commissioner Mike Chaney’s continued push for a Health Insurance Exchange have used the former governor as a way to gain support among those still not quite sure if this is a good idea.
- Speculation continues over Cochran’s seat in the U.S. Senate: If a Senate seat opens, expect a stampede This PEP posted excerpt originated with the Sun Herald and was written by political reporter Geoff Pender. The article can be read in its entirety by clicking the link at the bottom of the post.
- McDaniel: Economic Recovery will come when individuals are given freedom not fear. PEP contributor Senator Chris McDaniel writes that true economic recovery will come to our country when government gets out of the way, allows the free market to work how it was intended and we put an end to the practice of Keynesian economic theory.
- Godfather Politics on Tate Reeves: One Man Blocks Mississippi’s Attempts To Pass Immigration Laws. Lt. Governor Tate Reeves continues to have a tough time of it from bloggers across the country and immigration reform champions here in Mississippi. This excerpt from Godfather Politics lays the failure of immigration legislation and Mississippi’s unemployment rate at the feet of the first term Lt. Governor for stopping reform.
- Governor Bryant on ObamaCare in Mississippi: “No money is free.” Governor Phil Bryant wrote this opinion article on the negative affect ObamaCare would have on Mississippi’s Medicaid system. He discusses how accepting federal money, and the strings attached, would set Mississippi back in how our state government budgets funds in numerous other areas, especially education.
- Senator Chris McDaniel talks to Mississippi PEP about Obamacare and what he expects from the Supreme Court (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Immigration Reform in Mississippi-An Interview with MFIRE’s Dr. Rodney Hunt (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Under pressure, Chaney backs off of insurance exchange (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Obamacare: A few quick thoughts before the SCOTUS decision (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Harrison: Speculation beginning for possible replacement to Senator Thad Cochran (mississippipep.wordpress.com)