“I think it’s required 30 or 45 days before the July 1 deadline,” longtime state Rep. Bobby Moak said last week of recipients being notified.
State Attorney General Jim Hood said a 2004 federal court opinion mandates that proper notice be given to Medicaid recipients prior to the end of services because of a lack of funding.
“The Mississippi Division of Medicaid continues to hope the Legislature can reach a resolution regarding our reauthorization and funding prior to July 1,” said Medicaid spokeswoman Erin Barham. “However, if that is not the case, we are currently reviewing guidelines regarding the procedure for notifying interested parties of potential impacts. Although we are aware of the situation, when we have more direction we can provide additional information.”
Lawmakers failed to pass reauthorization and funding for Medicaid during the regular session that concluded April 4.
Democratic lawmakers and Republican legislative leaders are trading blame for who is responsible for the stalemate.
“Gov. Bryant regrets the situation Democrats have created by voting several times to withdraw funding and authorization for Medicaid services provided by Mississippi’s nursing homes, hospitals and other facilities,” spokesman Mick Bullock said last week. “He has repeatedly stated that when Democrats are ready to fund and reauthorize the current Medicaid program, he will call a special session so Mississippi can continue providing services to children, pregnant women and aged, blind and disabled adults.”
- Plunkett: Medicaid expansion is subsidizing sickness. | Mississippi PEP (keithplunkett.wordpress.com)
- Plunkett: DSH payments will never be cut. Dems should vote to reauthorize Medicaid now. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Medicaid Expert Says Florida’s Failure to Accept Federal Funding to Cover More People Will Harm Families, Hospitals and Businesses (prweb.com)
- A brief timeline of where we are on Medicaid and why. (savemsmedicaid.wordpress.com)
- Gov. Bryant says Obama move to delay cuts to hospitals should clear the way for Medicaid reauthorization. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Gov. Bryant: Dems playing political game with lives of 641,194 needy Mississippians. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Florida: A Last Stand on Medicaid Expansion (wtvy.com)