The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources announced Wednesday that it has begun a 60-day comprehensive evaluation to identify and recommend a plan of action to correct any fiscal and programmatic deficiencies, and to ensure more transparency, efficiency and accountability in the future.
“The challenges we have at MDMR cannot be fixed overnight, but this week we have taken a big step toward meeting those challenges head-on by beginning a process that will shine a light on the agency’s weaknesses and restore hope in its future,” said Jamie Miller, DMR Executive Director.
“The solution begins and ends with being transparent and accountable to the public, and in order to get there, we’ve got to find out what’s been done wrong, what’s been done right, and how we can do things better.”
In Miller’s testimony to the Mississippi Senate during his confirmation hearing, he proposed to implement the 60-day agency evaluation and assessment. With a joint meeting with the State Auditor’s office yesterday, the DMR started the 60-day evaluation which marks the beginning of the process. To assist the DMR and the State Auditor’s office with this analysis, two CPA firms, Horne, LLP and Nicholson and Company, PLLC, were hired to provide the following services:
1. Financial examination, auditing, compliance and assessment activities.
2. Organizational review, including but not limited to, structure, staffing, classification, work flow analysis, job description and compensation analysis.
3. Recommendations to improve efficiency, maximize agency effectiveness, strengthen public transparency, and assure operational integrity.
4. Preparation of internal and external communication strategy to include public outreach
5. Other related financial, organizational, and operational assessment and review as assigned by the Executive Director.
“This objective evaluation of the DMR is the necessary and prudent approach to ensuring that the agency is operating efficiently and effectively,” said Mississippi State Auditor Stacey Pickering. “Our office will work closely with the DMR to assist in this process.”
Download it for Free!