Member Senators with the Mississippi Senate Conservative Coalition (MSCC) will be in Natchez on Tuesday, September 17 and Wednesday September 18 to meet with area business and community leaders in preparation for the upcoming 2014 Mississippi Legislative Session. The group met two weeks ago with over 50 political, business and education leaders from across Madison, Rankin and Hinds County to get feedback on issues facing the state. MSCC has another series of meetings planned for Desoto County later this year.
A town hall meeting, hosted by the Natchez-Adams County Chamber of Commerce is scheduled at the Natchez Convention Center on Tuesday from 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM. MSCC members will have an open policy discussion and answer questions about goals and legislation that might potentially be introduced in 2014. The public is invited to attend.
“We want to discuss what we see as solutions to problems Mississippians face,” said MSCC member Senator Melanie Sojourner. “But, more importantly we want to discuss what the citizens of Southwest Mississippi see as solutions. My fellow senators in the coalition and I believe we can’t move Mississippi ahead without the input of everyone. What happens in Jackson at the state capitol affects lives. People should have a say in that process.”
MSCC Chairman Senator Chris McDaniel says increasing federal mandates are a growing problem for the state and cover virtually all aspects of state government policy.
“These mandates from the federal government are becoming more and more burdensome, and more and more problematic for our state,” he said. “How we move forward in light of the huge regulatory burden we already face, and how we protect job creation and freedom in that environment requires an open dialogue and engagement with the public. It is a challenge we must all face together.”
MSCC Press Release
- Senate Conservatives meet with business and education leaders from Metro Area, more meetings planned across state. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- Mississippi Senate Conservatives say “NO” to raising gas and sales taxes. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- HILL: Mississippi Can Do Better Than Common-Core (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- WATSON: For Elected Officials who won’t roll up their sleeves – “shame on them”. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)
- PLUNKETT: Senator Watson calls out Daily Journal for bias, they respond by deleting evidence. (mississippipep.wordpress.com)